If there is one thing I love, I love lists. Today is my birthday and I'm turning 23 this year. It amazes me that I am this old, I know it's not very old but it feels like time is flying by! I'm excited that I am finally old enough to sing the Blink-182 song and be 23 haha. 22 was year of learning and a lot of changes, graduating college and beginning grad school, and learning a lot about myself in my personal life and thoughts. I feel that this year will be exciting and I want to try all sorts of new things and lots of new projects so here is my 23 Before 24 list:
1. Learn to play ukelele. I played flute from 5th to 12th grade and I loved playing an instrument. Lately I have been thinking about learning to play something new, and a ukelele seems like a perfect start.
2. Complete my first novel. I have always liked to write ever since I was young, but I gave up writing for fun when life got busy with schoolwork and things. Now I feel that I have more time to write, I have actually started writing again. In April I began a book, and I have a few chapters but I would like to actually finish it. I have lots of half finished or less pieces all over my room and it would be amazing to actually finish this project.
3. Learn to crochet. I was taught to knit by one of my Girl Scout leaders when I was younger, and I am pretty good at following patterns for that, but crocheting is another story. I can do a simple chain stitch and form rows, but I can't do anything fancy, not even a granny square.
4. Improve my photography skills. I just discovered all the different settings on my digital camera, and I haven't actually explored all of the different things my camera can do. I also feel I should read up more on what all the settings mean. I like to take pictures but know nothing about techniques to use.
5. Become a better blogger. I'm proud that I have actually started and continued blogging for these past 6 months, and I feel like it's time to learn more about design and give you lovely ladies some better content. Thanks for bearing with me as I figure this out.
6. Continue working out consistently. This year I have started working out more often and I love it. I get up early and walk, do workout videos, and occasionally go to yoga class (not as much as I should). I feel so much better about myself and have so much more energy than I feel like I have in a long time.
Update: Working on a sweater now! (12/13/2013)
Update: Have tried many new recipes and will continue doing so! (12/13/2013)
Update: This one is half accomplished. I haven't been to a group blogger meetup but I did meet Lauren of Someone Like You who is the absolute sweetest! (12/13/2013)
10. Do a photo challenge. Going along with improving my photo skills, I think it would be fun to do one of the 30 day challenges or a photo an hour post.
11. DIY! I have an almost unhealthy addiction to Pinterest and there are so many cute diy ideas. I would love to host a get together and diy lots of decorations and maybe do some decorating for my new room.
12. Start an Etsy shop. I love Etsy. If you've never been to this website it has lots of cute little shops run by private sellers and you can find anything from vintage clothes to knitted items, to Doctor Who mugs there. I'd love to sell little knitted pieces, I actually thought about doing this years ago but I never got around to it.
13. Get a tattoo. I have been thinking about the same tattoo that I want as my first one for two years now. First I was afraid I was going to change my mind about it, but I haven't, so I should just bite the bullet and not let fear stop me any longer!
14. Watch more classic movies. When I watch classics, I tend to stick with the same 10-15 actors and actresses, and I'd like to branch out and find more good movies because I love classics so much. I'd also like to try and watch more silent films.
15. Find new nerdy shows to watch. I love Doctor Who, Torchwood, Star Trek and Alphas, but I don't really watch that many other sci-fi shows. If anyone has suggestions I would love you to share in the comments!
16. Actually print out photos and start scrapbooking. I have this huge tupperware box full of programs, movie tickets, little memorobilia and photos from disposable cameras, but I also have a huge external hard drive with hundreds of photos saved on it that I never see. I would love to work on putting these memories in scrap books instead of hiding them away in boxes.
17. Do a lighthouse tour. Tieka of Selective Potential always visits the prettiest lighthouses, and I would love to do a lighthouse tour. Ohio isn't far from Michigan, and we have some lighthouses here because of Lake Erie.
18. Go to a reenactment weekend. I would love to go to a vintage style weekend event where everyone dresses up in period clothing, it seems like so much fun. I'd love to go to a World War II event or there's an event in New York every year that is 20s themed.
Update: Accomplished! I did Color Run and the Jingle Bell Run!
20. Read more. I love to read, I usually read 20-30 books a year and I keep a list of what I've read. Lately I've been reading more blogs than books, so I'd like to get back into reading more books and still read as many blogs.
21. Go see a sport I've never seen live. I'm not a big sports person but I like going to games, it gets really intense when you're actually there. I would love to go to either roller derby, hockey, basketball, or soccer game.
22. Continue being focused on school. This year before I turn 24 I will take my next two semesters of grad school, and after my birthday I'll only have the fall semester left and I will be done with school forever (at least for the known future). I want to continue doing very well and make sure I get the best grades possible and learn as much as I can.
23. Appreciate the little things in life. Life can get busy, so I want to make sure that I stop and think and am thankful for any little quiet moments during my day and the kindness of other people's actions. We go through life in such a rush we forget to appreciate things like this.
So here's my list. I hope that I can accomplish it all, but I won't be too hard on myself if some things don't get done. Here's to another year, I'm thinking it's going to be an amazing one!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin